On 06/28/2018 04:06 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-04-12 at 09:10 -0700, Tom Eastep wrote:
>>
>> No -- it requires the firewall script to be compiled with the fix, as
>> well as having the fix installed on the shorewall[6]-lite firewall.
>
> # rpm -q shorewall
> shorewall-5.2.0-0.01.fc28.noarch>
> # opkg info shorewall-lite
> Package: shorewall-lite
> Version: 5.1.12.3-1
>
> So I should have the intended fix, yes?

If 'shorewall show version' returns '5.2.0', then you do not have the
fix on your administrative system. If it returns '5.2.0.1', then you do
have the fix.

> From a reboot of my router this morning:
>
> # ps -ef | grep lock
> root      3166     1  0 06:24 ?        00:00:00 lock
> /etc/shorewall-lite/state/lock
> root      7089     1  0 06:26 ?        00:00:00 lock
> /etc/shorewall-lite/state/lock
>
> So the locking appears to be still leaving orphans behind.
>
> I have been considering an alternative approach to this locking.  When
> multiple shorewall invocations race, I really only likely care about
> the last one winning the race cleanly, since they are most likely
> racing just because of an interface status change and the last to enter
> the race will configure the firewall with the status of all interfaces
> (and other state) already known to him.
>
> So really, the last shorewall process to enter a race should just kill
> off it's predecessors and continue on it's way.
>
> That requires that the firewall installation script be able to deal
> with any kind of previous partial state though.  Not sure how well
> shorewall is able to do that.  It would require the ultimate of
> idempotency.

The script cannot insure idempotency when it is interrupted at an
arbitrary point. It writes into its 'undo' files after the successful
completion of an 'ip' command, so a failure after the command and before
the 'undo' record is written can cause incorrect behavior the next time
that the script is run.

Tom Eastep        \   Q: What do you get when you cross a mobster with
Shoreline,         \     an international standard?
Washington, USA     \ A: Someone who makes you an offer you can't
http://shorewall.org \   understand