At Sat, 9 Oct 2010 00:16:22 +1100, Geoff Huston wrote:

> I assume that in addition to the CMS requirement that:
>
> "The signing-time attribute MUST be present"

Yes.

> there is an additional requirement that reads (approximately)
>
> "Each party MUST ensure that the signing-time attribute value is
> strictly greater than the signing-time attribute value of the
> a signing-time value less than that of the most recently received
> and accepted message from the same sender MUST be rejected."

Close.  I think the proposal was that the signing time attribute must
be greater than or equal to the signing-time attribute of previous
messages sent by the same originator to the same recipient.

"Greater than or equal to" vs "strictly greater than" is important,
and is a tradeoff.  The advantage is that it removes the problem of
unintended rate limiting to one message per second (don't really know
if that's a real issue, but in theory it might be).  Disadvantage is
that it leaves one open to replay of the latest message, but with the
protocol as currently written, I haven't been able to think of
anything evil an attacker could do by replaying the most recent
message, and it's easy for the sender to add one-second delays (if
neede) to the middle of a command stream that really should not be
inverted.  So greater-than-or-equal-to seems right to me.

There probably should also to be a note somewhere stating that there
must be -some- way (even if only manually typing SQL commands, that's
an implementation detail) for an operator to reset this value, to
handle the case where a sender accidently signs with a time far in the
future (read: "wait two years and call me in the morning" is not the
preferred answer from the help desk in such cases).