> Not to mention the fact that IPv6 is going to have a significant contribution.
>
> Tony

I think you are saying (extending Tom's observation) that the transition to a
FIB scalability solution possibly should happen sooner due to IPv6 growth
(as compared to that based on IPv4 growth considerations alone).
Whenever such transition occurs, it would be beneficial for BGPSEC
because engineered RIB capacity would be good for a far longer period.

The following related observations regarding the RIB model are worth noting.
The model assumes 15% yearly growth for # unique prefixes or total #
prefix-paths.
Currently we do not explicitly break it down between IPv4 and IPv6.
Initially the bulk of the 15% growth would be due to IPv4 but one can expect
that after a period of time, the IPv4 growth would trend down to a lower level
while the IPv6 growth would contribute increasingly to the overall 15% yearly
growth in announced prefixes.

The model is parameterized and further refined projections for
IPv4 and IPv6 can be incorporated when available.

The BGPSEC RIB estimate for a given total # prefix-paths is minimally sensitive
to the mix of
IPv4 and IPv6. That is because a very high percentage of octets in a signed
update is due
to the signatures, and the sig size (for a given sig algorithm) is independent
of IPv4 or IPv6.

Sriram

http://www.antd.nist.gov/~ksriram/BGPSEC_RIB_Estimation.pdf

-- snip --