On 20/07/11 1:02 AM, "Sandra Murphy" <sandra.mur...@sparta.com> wrote:

> There was a brief discussion of the use of file names extensions when the
> repos-struct document came up for last call.  See the following messages:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr/current/msg02281.html
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr/current/msg02282.html
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr/current/msg02283.html
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sidr/current/msg02284.html
>
> To summarize: George Michaelson spoke against extensions when we were
> considering a registry (and Terry mildly supports them), I asked George if

What I said was "and hint nicely". So happy to see it as the hint. That
hasn't changed, and create a registry if you so desire. I'm still not
comfortable in leading to a point where it is the
way (and it seems only way) an objects validation regime is chosen.

Rob's observation that the extension exists in the manifest file name is a
close approximation provided words exist as highlighted which gives clear
instruction to implementers as to
1) make the first approximation of validation regime on the filename in the
_manifest_
2) then try all others
3) give up.

T.