At 10:35 PM +0100 3/14/12, Eric Osterweil wrote:

So, what happens (for example) when a sig on an update can't be verified? Is an update not processed and applied as it otherwise would be? I guess it seems to me that the semantics of an update have changed if a new portion of that update (the sig) can cause interpretation of the meaning of that update to change (i.e. drop updates with unverifiable sigs, update RIB if the sigs are verifiable).

I see your point, but disagree. Let me try to explain.

Whenever we add secruity mechanisms to a protocol we create new ways to cause the protocol to fail to forward data, fail to establish a connection, etc. The model I have long (>30 years) employed is that if the secruity checks succeed, the protocol should operate as before (i.e., w/o the added secruity mechanisms), because the environment is seen as benign. If the checks fail, the protocol should behave differently, e.g., something should fail, because the environment is now perceived as hostile and the protocol (w/o benefit of the secruity mechanisms) was not engineered to work properly in a hostile environment.

Consider for example the fact that many protocols incorporate an integrity check. If the check fails, that causes a packet to be dropped. Typically the integrity check mechanism is not secure against attacks; is just a mechanism designed to detect benign errors. We frequently introduce crypto-based integrity mechanisms when we want to counter attacks. Those mechanisms will cause the protocol to behave differently in attack scenarios, e.g., an attack that might have yielded a valid checksum will yield an invalid HMAC, and that will cause a packet to be dropped. This is generally viewed not as a change to the protocol semantics, but rather an appropriate and natural effect of operating the protocol in a secure manner.

I'd like to think that the BGPSEC mechanisms are being developed in a way that tries to adhere to this paradigm.

 Add which "things?"

When you break the paragraph up, the pronouns are not as easy to associate w/ their common nouns. ;) "Things," was referring to "data, semantics, and processes."

I read the text before the paragraph was sliced and diced, and I felt that "things" was ambiguous. Now that the ambiguity is removed, I just disagree with your reading of the text :-).

.

I think we agree that defining leaks and discussing any mechanisms to remediate them are separate.

separate, but very interdependent. If the definition is squishy, countermeasures are likely to be messy, at best.

Steve