Hey Chris,

On Mar 21, 2012, at 5:00 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Eric Osterweil <eosterw...@verisign.com>
> wrote:
>> My input is that the current work that does not address the real route leak
>> threat, and it is therefore insufficient.
>
> and many, many times ... 'how would you do this, really, show me the
> math' has been asked. the closest so far is Brian's set of 3 id's
> which are being chattered about in IDR and some in SIDR as well.

As I mentioned to Steve, ``If a system is repeatedly subverted along a specific
attack vector, the fact that you can see evidence of subversion, but you can't
model it with a closed form equation or a formal proof does _not_ mean you
should withhold the development of protections!  That's like saying: I haven't
got a formal proof for what a local escalation of privileges is, on my Linux
box... I hope Linus comes up w/ a formal definition soon so that I stop getting
pwnd!''

I don't know that math (or any other formalism) is generally considered a
requirement for the incorporation of security protections when they are needed.
 Indeed, the notion that security protections must be predicated on some form
of formal analysis seems like a severe/unnecessary hindrance.  I don't know
that the current BGPSEC design is evolvable to remediate the threats we
currently face, but that does _not_ mean we should avoid addressing the problem.

> btw, Is 'the real route leak threat' different in some way than other
> (what other?) route-leak-threats? and is it the only thing you care
> about? (I think there are others, is this the only uncovered hole in
> the pasture? or are you worried about breaking your leg on something
> else as well?)

1) Sorry, 'real' was only added to emphasize that this is an existing problem.
Nothing more...
2) I am actually listening to what those operators that I talk to are worried
about.  I've heard many issue warnings about the threat that route leaks pose,
and some of my own research tends to underscore some more subtle (but I think
very dangerous) threats that I think route leaks enable quite nicely.  Thus,
this is my view of what I've heard many people say and what I have seen.  I'm
sure there are others, but that's where an accepted requirements doc would be
helpful.

Eric