Hi,

On 2 Jun 2012, at 01:00, Murphy, Sandra wrote:
> The authors have stated that they believe that
> draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate-06 "BGP Prefix Origin Validation" is ready for a
> working group last call.

Prefix validate assumes full knowledge of all applicable ROAs (or other sources
of information if they are used) and I believe this should be stated more
strongly.

The security considerations section addresses the possibility of a malicious
attacker tampering with the database that is used for validation. It does not
address the possibility of a database becoming incomplete for other reasons.

In particular I am worried about repositories:
1- being completely unreachable for a prolonged time
2- being inconsistent

@1:

A relying party tool may choose to use old information if a repository can not
be reached. This assumes that the RP has this old data, and it will only work
for a while. There is some unclarity what to do if the manifest goes stale
(next update time in the past) vs a manifest EE certificate expiring
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6486#section-5.1 dictates a one-time use EE cert
should match this).

In particular consider this case:

Parent CA:
- has cert for 10/8
- ROA for 10.0/16 AS A
- signed cert to child for 10.0.0.0/22

Child CA:
- publication point is unreachable, old data expired (new RP instances unaware
even)

There is a very real possibility that the parent's ROA invalidates the child
announcements.

I believe that the only reasonable, automated, action an RP can take in this
case is to disregard any INRs mentioned on the child CA's cert whose pub point
is unreachable.

@2:

With inconsistent I mean the following cases:
- hash invalid for ROA
- missing ROA
- surplus ROA

The RP has a very tough time deciding what to do:
- the invalid ROA could be a publication error, or it could be that another ROA
with the same name was intended to be published, but we didn't see it
- a missing ROA could validate an announcement that is now considered invalid
because of another ROA
- the surplus ROA's intention is unclear, it could be that the CA forgot to
delete and revoke this, and it's invalidating announcement(s)

I understand that the authors intended manifests as a replay detection
mechanism and most of the wording regarding validation uses SHOULDs and 'local
policy'. However, I believe that this is not strong enough for pfx-validate.
Local policy sounds very reasonable when in doubt, but I have no faith that
operators will have enough knowledge to make educated decisions in all these
cases. By and large I expect that operators will go with the *default* local
policy decisions that are implemented in the RP tool they use.

In short I think that pfx-validate's requirement for full knowledge dictate
that there MUST be a valid manifest listing the ROAs the CA intended to
publish, they MUST all be present, all be valid, and no additional ROAs for the
publication point can be considered.