On 16 Jun 2012, at 22:59, Pradosh Mohapatra wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>

>>> Prefix validate assumes full knowledge of all applicable ROAs (or other
>>> sources of information if they are used) and I believe this should be
>>> stated more strongly.
>>>
>>> The security considerations section addresses the possibility of a
>>> malicious attacker tampering with the database that is used for validation.
>>> It does not address the possibility of a database becoming incomplete for
>>> other reasons.
>>
>> This is the main point I wanted to make. I believe this can be easily
>> addressed by just stating the requirement in this document. Perhaps
>> something along these lines at the end of the first paragraph in the
>> security consideration section:
>>
>> "Additional or missing records resulting from retrieval and/or validation
>> errors can lead to the same problems."
>>
>> The following was just a discussion on how RPs can mitigate these problems.
>> But.. perhaps this is better addressed in a separate BCP, or future work on
>> specifications related to the repository and retrieval/validation by RPs.
>>
>> If the WG can agree with this then I can support last call..
>

> I do not agree this is a "security" issue. I am guessing you meant
> permanent/eventual inconsistencies between the local and global repositories
> (since transient inconsistencies will always be there). That kind of
> inconsistency is most certainly a (protocol) implementation error and has to
> be dealt with at that layer.

I see your point about security, I don't really mind which section addresses
this.

With inconsistencies I did not mean that the validated cache is out of date,
which I agree, will always be there even if it could be minimised.

The inconsistencies I refer to are different in nature. It's that the snapshot
that the RP tool got when it validated is in itself inconsistent: surplus or
missing ROAs, or the hash of 1 or more ROAs doesn't match. Longer discussion
omitted, but at this point the RP just doesn't know for certain what to do and
guidance is needed. This is where *explicitly* stating a strong requirement,
rather than leaving it implicit, in pfx-validate comes in..

Having this will help to either come up with best practices for RP tools, or
preferably improvements to the repository related standards.

Anyway, I get the feeling that I am the only one here who sees this as a
problem, so I guess the rough consensus is there..

Tim