David,

Thanks a lot for raising this issue.

Based on the discussion in Dallas, I was hoping that we could just go with
the clean approach of including the MP_REACH_NLRI attribute in the
signature.

As you correctly point out, we can't sign MP_REACH_NLRI, because the
"Network Address of Next Hop" field within MP_REACH_NLRI changes as an
update message propagates through network. (I.e., if we sign what the -12
draft says we should sign, verification will often fail.)

I have just submitted a -13 version of the document that pulls out the
fields from MP_REACH_NRLI which aren't changed in transit (and thus can be
safely signed).

- Matt Lepinski