Thank you very much for your answers Ian and Andrei.

The smearing (5K) improved the situation. The spin up is 123.7 and the spin down 123.3, but there is 0.3 spin in the wrong place. The energy is nearly the same, only 0.0005 eV lower, thus at least in energetic terms i do not expect this to be a problem.

All the calculations were performed with SpinPolarized = T, but as you said andrei, the system has a strong tendency to converge to a non-spin polarized calculation. I still have some room to play with DM.InitSpin. Maybe it is possible to obtain a different solution.

The problem with radicals that i was referring was that in some cases when you do ``molecular calculations`` for a doublet radical you get a lot of spin contamination, the <S2> can be as large as 1.5 instead of the correct value 0.75. This is due to the presence of low lying excited states, for example a quartet state.

Thus I was wondering if the problem that i have to obtain the spin resolved calculation for the SWCNT+F hybrid is related to the presence of different solutions.

It would be important to know the physical mining of this behavior. I guess that is related to the too strong hybridization of the F2p orbitals that you mention andrei, because in the case of hydrogen, there is no problem.

Many thanks for your help!

Pablo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrei Postnikov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>