I cannot agree that observing the relative change in Mulliken charges instead of absolute values would be correct. I had experience that DZP showed transfer of charge from surface to molecule, while TZP showed the opposite (though the charge transfer itself was very smal - about 0.1e)

Was this an effect only in the Mulliken populations, or was it something from the calculation? Did you checked was was really happening with the charge transfer?

I believe, yes. The binding energies (if BSSE corrections are taken) and the geometry were the same. I haven't checked too much, but I believe that if I were to draw DRHO it would be pretty the same (at least difference would not be noticeable by a naked eye). While the Mulliken charges themselves were very different. And their difference (i.e. charge transfer) was a little bit different.