Hi,
 I would add the following option to what Marcos says:

 You can start with a "standard" atom inp file. See the atom manual for
details. Then do an all electron calculation with atm. So you really want an
ae.inp kind of file.

 Keep in mind, atm, unlike siesta, has a very *rigid* readout format, so *keep
all spacings in your input files as in the template ae.inp file* that you can
get, for instance on the Tutorial directory of atom. Otherwise you will get
all kind of errors during the ae.sh script run.

 Once you have a successful atm calculation, go to your Bi.ae.inp directory,
that will be created if a successful run did happen, and opent the
OUT
file.

 In this file you will have a bunch of data. Go to the channels you want your
pseudo to have and dismiss the previous channels (you get all channels here
'cause this is an all-electron calculation). Check the biggest
r extr
for the channels you are interested in. For instance, from one of my files:
.
.
.
 n = 5  l = 1  s = 0.5
        a extr         0.290  -0.408   0.601  -1.120
        b extr        -0.055   0.022  -0.013   0.008
        r extr         0.037   0.138   0.351   0.979
        r zero         0.075   0.216   0.528
        r 90/99 %      1.597   2.266
.
.
.
(and assuming I wanted the 5p orbital to be in the valence) I would write down
0.97 as a starting point for my rc in my pseudo. You get the idea.

 Please PLOT the radial part of your all electron result. Your rc must be away
enough from parts where your wavefunctions cross the r axis (ie, bigger than
the biggest r zero value).

 Okay, suppose you wrote down your r extrs. Now take a template pg (or pe for
that matter) file. Replace the rcs in that file (and the atomic number as
well as the pseudo flavor to suit!) by the ones you just got. Sometimes is
safe to choose one of your r_extrs for all rcs (the smallest, the biggest,
some value in between,...)

 Run the pg.sh script. Go back to your output dir (something like Bi.pe.inp)
and plot the wavefuncions once more. pg(pe) wavefunctions should overlap
outside rc.

 On a more stringent test of your pseudo, you can check in the atom manual how
to test for transferability.

 All this is good but,
-sometimes atm changes your input radii (See OUT file for actual taken
values).
-even though you are happy with your pseudo, siesta discovers GHOST states
(...and crashes). Then you have to go back to your pseudo inp file and modify
some options slightly.

-if your pseudo makes for a sucessful siesta run, do *check* some bulk
properties: Lattice constants and the like.

 Bottom line is, it will take you a couple of days to get comfortable with the
process of generating pseudos but it is worth (and perhaps even necessary if
you consider using SIESTA in the long run) the effort.

Best regards,
Salvador.

--
Salvador Barraza-Lopez