On 28/Feb/15 02:02, Sanjaya Sanjaya wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm neither for nor against the proposal. As an additional information I'd
> like to share a presentation that I made early last year about ASNs in the
> Asia Pacific region, when I visited a few operators in China. While it
> highlighted the relatively low use of ASNs in AP region compared to Europe
> and North America, it didn't put blame on allocation policy. But could or
> should the policy help? I don't know. It's up to the community to decide.
> We've had a very good discussion so far. Thanks!

I think this highlights the issue in question - there need not be any
linear relationship between IP addressing and ASN routing. Service
providers (and end users) simply care about being online. The biggest
issue around that is how devices can be uniquely addressed on the
Internet, more so for China given how many they are as a populace, and
how many IPv4 addresses are (not) left for them to chew on.

If a service provider can fix their most pressing issue, which is a lack
of IP addresses, that might rate higher in priority than needing an ASN
if they do not necessarily have a need to define their routing policy
separate from their ISP's or the rest of the Internet.

My concern with issuing an ASN to anyone that obtains PI space is that
PI space can be obtained both by service providers and non-service
providers. Are we saying that a mom-and-pop shop that qualifies for PI
should also get an ASN? If, for some reason, technology suggests that
every mobile phone needs PI space because we've got tons of it in IPv6,
and RIR policy is updated to cover such use-cases, suddenly, 4.2 billion
ASN's does not seem like a lot anymore.

I suppose the issue here is that as many billions as the resources are,
they are still finite. We do not know what might increase their rate of
take-up in the future, but if history is anything to go by, the
opportunity is always there. So allocating ASN's "just because" is
something I do not support, as an up & coming enterprise that needs IPv6
PI space may not have a need to advertise their routing policy to the
Internet, because they are a simple shop who rely on their ISP for all
their routing.

Mark.