On 27/Feb/15 11:43, Izumi Okutani wrote:
> OK, that's an interesting approach.
>
> What is the reason for this? Would be curious to hear from other
> operators as well, on what issues it may cause if you are a single homed
> portable assignment holder and cannot receive a global ASN.

My experience with downstreams who have needed address space without the
need for an ASN is so they can have independence from their provider's
address space, but do not necessarily have the skill-set or budget to
run an autonomous system.

So I do not think that it is necessarily wise to tie IP address
resources to ASN resources in this way, by default. It is a valid
operational approach for networks that require the address space - but
not the autonomous system routing - to have their upstreams run their
address space behind the upstreams ASN. As an operator running network
across Africa, Europe and south Asia, we see and handle these use-cases
all the time. In my experience, most customers in this scenario are more
concerned with address space than routing.

Mark.