RaiMan proposed the following answer:
Since getBundlPath returns a string, str() is not needed:

your def() a little bit pythonized ;-)

def set_screenshot_path(my_screenshot_path):
    print "The current screenshot path is " + getBundlePath()
    if not os.path.isdir(my_screenshot_path):
        raise Exception("%s does not exist."%my_screenshot_path)
    if not my_screenshot_path == getBundlePath(): # in does not filter
subfolders
        print "[SETTING] Changing the screenshot path from %s to
%s"%(getBundlePath(), my_screenshot_path)
        setBundlePath(my_screenshot_path)

BTW: raise in functions only makes sense, if you really want to stop the
complete execution here. Otherwise the functions should return
true/false or value/none (like Sikuli's exists() )

def set_screenshot_path(my_screenshot_path):
    print "[INFO] The current screenshot path is " + getBundlePath()
    if not os.path.isdir(my_screenshot_path):
        print "[ERROR] %s does not exist."%my_screenshot_path
        return None
    if not my_screenshot_path == getBundlePath(): # in does not filter
subfolders
        print "[SETTING] Changing the screenshot path from %s to
%s"%(getBundlePath(), my_screenshot_path)
        setBundlePath(my_screenshot_path)
        return getBundlePath()

if not set_screenshot_path(new_screenshot_path):
    print "[FATAL] terminating"
    exit(1)
    # or any corrective action

*** your problem does ...
is not your def, but at the point, where the new_screenshot_path is set.

set_screenshot_path("c:\\test")

or

set_screenshot_path(r"c:\test")

the interpretation of escape characters only takes place when Python has
to "read" a literal "some text"