Hi Aulay

Some things that are needed for all roster tools:

Abiltiy for staff to swap shifts (admins able to disable and enable, auto and
manual approval)
Rules to alert to when staff are being rostered for too much time causing them
to earn extra overtime
Able to forecast projected needed staff volume based on historical data
Skills base auto rostering. Staff should have skills allocated to them and the
resource planner should be able to use historical data (i.e. last year's roster
+ roster adhearance) to auto fill the roster and then tweak the roster. Auto
filling should be subject to factors the resource planner can manipulate such
as cost vs. skill
API to integrate with payroll, reporting, and other software which
organisations want to use
Click, drag and drop interface
When someone is unable to make it in for their shift an auto alert of the
possible canidates again based on cost vs skill (I have not seen this in
rostering SW before but is needed)

Have a look at some of the roster tools they use for call centres. eWFM from
Aspect is a great example. If someone was willing to replicate the eWFM
software for retail they wil have a lot of business.

Dale

Mar 2009 23:04:34 -0800