2009/8/5 Rob Manson <rob...@mobusiness.com.au>

> Hi Owen,

Hi Rob.

> better to be quoted out of context than not at all 8)
>

> So my question to you is - what's wrong with plain old copyright and
> controlled distribution for your software?

Nothing at all. But, as you know, copyright only protects the expression of
a concept, not the concept itself. What I have done is to assert my
ownership of the concept itself, so that no one can claim it as theirs. If
it so turns out that someone comes up with a different, yet better concept,
then they have a better concept.

That is competition. Do you have another definition?

> It works for all the big software companies.

Heh. I've been there, and I know that it doesn't. Big software companies
hoard and defend patents like there's no tomorrow.

> Very few of them actually utilise software patents in reality.

That might be because they sit on them, and that's a reason for why I, as an
individual, patented my concept alone.

> e.g. control your source code and not the idea
>
> If the idea is unique and your software is useful and your
> prices/distribution are reasonable then people will use it.

> If someone else can take your idea and do any of those better than you
> then you're probably screwed anyway 8)
>
> Or at least have some healthy competition that will make your business
> "better".

Probably not. I believe it cranks up the competition theme to an intensity
where it is beneficial for no one. What you get is forces competing not
against each other, but against the customers who are stifled with making a
decision between two identical products.

  Owen.

--
www.cliquespace.net
Clique Space(TM) Facebook Group: