2009/8/5 silky <michaelsli...@gmail.com>

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Owen Thomas<owen.paul.tho...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > But what if I have invested a long time, much experience, much
> deliberation,
> > and much energy to develop a concept to the point where it might
> otherwise
> > be patented just to say to others, "here is my idea, go for it!"?
>
> No, you don't give away work, but you don't prevent others from
> working on the same thing. That's my approach.

But what's the use of someone else just putting together something that is
identical in every functional way to something that you have, and offering
this to customers? How might these customers benefit?

> I'm human, and would like a bit of respect that one very small human
> > individual might be able to expect from others.
> >
> > > Recognition, sure, but not exclusivity.
> >
> > I cannot stop you from having a better idea than me.
>

> But you can stop me implementing it better than you.

I don't know. If the patent can withstand a challenge from a technology that
you have constructed, then I suppose it's sufficiently differentiable in the
eyes of the law. But something that's functionally identical to my concept,
that's 'better'? Can you please clarify what you mean?

Additionally, I could offer you some consideration for helping me develop
the concept. Message me privately if you would like to know more about this
possibility...

> > declare myself as ingenious for coming up with a scheme for, say,
> > > deployment applications across a source control mechanism across
> > > multiple servers? [something I've worked on].
> >
> > ... did you invent something like Clique Space? Did you come register a
> > similar concept before 15 January 2008? Where's the proof?
>

> Hmm? Did I accidentally describe your system there? Because if I did
> that's an amusing coincidence, because I was referring a project of
> mine called "dashy", and I'm almost certain they are quite different,
> but to be honest I have no idea what "clique space" is.

Well, I have no idea what "dashy" is. So maybe they are similar, maybe they
are different. If "dashy" is about source code control, I would make a
fairly confident assertion that Clique Space doesn't have anything in
common.

> If you come up with something that does a better job than what my idea
> does,
> > then I should be philosophical about the outcome.
> >
> > Clique Space is my idea,
>

> Is it really yours though?

If no one else has come up with it? You bet!

> Should you really be able to own that?

For what I have endured to get it to the stage where I can register a
patent? You bet!

> That's the question I suppose. I believe no. I don't believe in giving
> everything away by any means, but I don't think we can really claim to
> "own" something like that.

My opinion is that ideas (or rather sufficiently developed ideas - concepts)
are property like anything else.

> Without a patent, I immediately loose the right to make an individual
> > decision as to how my concept might best be used so to benefit me. I
> argue
> > that this is also moral decision. Without a patent, I have two options;
> 1:
> > to throw out in a society where I have to contemplate how much energy I
> am
> > willing to expend to preserve an income keep myself ahead of the next
> person
> > who, although they have no better an idea than the one I came up with,
> have
> > access to contacts and organisations such that they can undermine me
> (with
> > little effort on their behalf) to skim off any advantage that would
> > otherwise be justified as mine through a patent, or 2: to keep the idea
> > myself, with no guarantee that someone else will think of the idea.
> >
> > Without a patent, I am rid of any individuality, any opportunity for
> > individual recognition, any opportunity for individual profit. Without a
> > patent, society has no way to encourage people who may (and I could
> indeed
> > have been one) have a truly good idea; an idea that would be lost to the
> > evolving circumstance of the human social condition.
> >
> > Hence, without patents, I loose, and so might we all.
>
> Yes, I suppose here lies the argument *for* patents; that it lets you
> pursue it publically without fear of competition. I just don't think
> that's a good thing necessarily, for the reasons listed.

Well, we've stated our positions on these things. I had 3.5 years to debate
and listen before registering. I didn't register without thinking about what
registration implies.

  Owen.

--
www.cliquespace.net