Phil,

As a specific example for DR, as per Geoff's description, our primary
hosts are in a datacentre in NSW. We also pay for a lower-spec server
in QLD for DR. We use the VPS software to periodically clone the
primary server to the DR server via incremental snapshots. A script at
the VPS host also applies critical changes to the clone (ID, IP etc).

In the event of a catastrophic failure in NSW, we boot the DR server
(manual) and point primary DNS to the DR server (manual). Depending on
the scenario, key clients may be informed of a temporary URL (while
waiting for DNS to be resolved) and/or the DR sever may be put into a
read-only mode (at application layer). This ensures our customers
(enterprises) can access their data in a degraded mode while we
migrate to a new data centre (from backup, or a snapshot of the DR
server, manual).

We would only initiate the process in *really* bad scenarios which we
try to anticipate in a DRP/BCP (large enterprises generally require
that you have a plan). We also try to ensure that more than one person
knows how to make that migration.

cheers,
 Jeromy Evans