Hi Geoff,
Thinking about it for a minute i guess your question is valid but
complicating the situation.
My assumption is that this is more a simple question of how we can get out
of the single point of failure in a simpler manner some thing more on the
lines of what Silvia has suggested.
DR is usually as expensive as HA and is
usually entailing DB synchronizations and file system replication on the
fly.
The DR solution we are suggesting here is the cheap scape and will lead to
the problems that ma.gnolia.com had encountered, where a loss of UGC had
made them stop the service for a year due to DB backup corruption.
Cheers,
Y.