On 25/09/2010, at 2:52 AM, Kev wrote:

> there are plenty of wealthy people who would like to invest both to
> diversify their portfolio and to be a part of something exciting.
> There are rich corporate, medical etc folk that have lots of money but
> have less in the way of job satisfaction, etc. Many enjoy being part
> of a high energy innovative start-up.

Speaking from experience as an employee (but not a founder) I would say that
possibly the worst kind of money comes from someone who treats being an Angel
investor as little more than a hobby to distract them from their day job.

I'm not saying that someone who made their money outside of the tech area can't
be a good investor, but I'd certainly be wary of getting involved with a
project where the primary investor fundamentally does not understand the
realities of software development and instead has some romantic notion that
they're funding the next facebook.

I think this ties in well with your point about "smart money" Kev?

Cheers,

Warren.