Thanks for the post Renai. It's a good question and there are some
great answers here.

I'll summarise my point by saying yes and no.

Yes, there is a VC funding here in Australia.

No, it's not particularly relevant for early stage web businesses,
which a lot of Silicon Beach is about - or is that just me?

Matt's post is good as it shows where you need to be to be to get VC
funding.

So the whinging is whinging to some degree, as people read Techcrunch
and think that VC money is how you do things. It may appear that way
but in reality there is a a lot more companies in the valley that
don't get VC funding than do. They are bombarded each year by
thousands of companies from around the world and each VC may fund 3-5
each each year.

What we need to be looking at is more seed and angel funding. This is
partly why Pollenizer is structured the way we are. We can expect big
cash without a working business, so we find a little bit of cash, stay
lean and get to validation.

I've got no doubt the VC's in Australia will fund you - IF - you fit
their requirements and IF you want to take the money.

For some quick stats,
* Of the more than 100 business that Pollenizer has worked with and
more than 500 that we have spoken to, only 2 have been VC funded.
Xumii (mid-sized project) and Mig33 (tiny project).
* Of the $5m we have raised for our portfolio companies, none of it
has come from VC's. Yes, it's a young portfolio and I expect some in
the next few years will look to VC's for expansion capital, but many
won't need it.

The big part I agree with is the stop whinging and just do it. Ian
Cummings is a good example. He finds a way. It's hard, and requires
persistence - welcome to the job!

Mick