No, that's not the issue Suhit. That's an important and related issue
on a broader scale but has no bearing on the immediate economic,
social and political effects of slashing an industry support scheme by
two thirds overnight with no prior warning.

Our state government is very ready to support all kinds of other
industries, such as the racing and gaming industry, that have no net
positive benefit and significant detrimental social impacts. It has no
problem sinking hundreds of millions of dollars of support into easily
the most inefficient and environmentally harmful energy generation
industry we could have in NSW short of burning old car tyres to
generate electricity.

The NSW government's decision had nothing to do with deciding that
household solar was the wrong strategy, or they would have axed the
feed-in tariff. It was just frantic, poorly-thought through, panicked
decision-making-on-the-run from a party desperately trying not to lose
an upcoming election and unable to risk any bad publicity over cost
blowouts on a solar scheme that's grown too fast.

If they weren't scared and they actually did give a damn they could
have just as easily announced that the tariff would be phased down
gradually from 60 to 20 over the next four years. Installers could
have used those four years to adapt, to do some consolidation and
acquisitions, to get more efficient. Manufacturers could have used
that time to continue to bring costs down and optimised supply chains.
Consumers could have decided for themselves whether to act sooner or
later with the full information at hand. There would be time for
consultation, for accurate modelling of the impacts and the results,
for further tweaks to be made.

It's the home insulation scheme all over again, thankfully without any
fatalities but all the other collateral damage. No solar manufacturer
is ever going to risk entering the NSW market for a very long time,
and no investor is gojng to get into backing manufacture, distribution
or sale of household solar either.

One thing's for sure, household solar generation better NOT be the
best solution for the state of NSW's future power needs, because the
current state government has made damn sure it will not be an option
ever again.