> Join it on Freenode.  Hopefully there'll always be a few people lurking in
> there ready to just have a good conversation.

This generalises tobest an interesting (technically and practically)
meta-problem. One-on-One mentoring is one of the value added services
that experienced angel investors offer to startup founders. I refer
you to

http://www.dr-smith.info/6-tips-on-finding-the-right-mentor/

However, survivorship bias means that the ratio of non-burnt-out
serial entrepreneurs to aspiring founders is very lop-sided, and it
turns into a mob around the superangels or equivalents like Y-
combinator. There is also the problem with the rapidly changing
technology scene that experience might be out of date (half life of
knowledge). Read

http://venturehacks.com/archives esp
http://venturehacks.com/articles/vertical-markets

Peers are good for social support and perhaps even tapping for
technical assist but the risk is that you end up in an echo chamber.
It also doesn't help when so many talented Australians have gone
overseas so unless you're awake at 3am, probably not likely to get the
best expert advice. Actually if you are coding at 3am they'd be so
impressed they'd probably help you anyway but the point I'm trying to
make is that the supply and demand is badly matched.

This meta-problem has actually been studied, Nash looked at
equilibriums such as marriage partners. But a more recent example
looked at the marketing design which is the engineering side of game
theory

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/6502.html

Roth has determined that successful marketplaces require three key
elements. "They must be thick, uncongested, and safe," The practical
problem at hand was matching kidney doners with recipients, thus
whilst you might have 2 willing parties, because of incompatbility it
wouldn't occur. However, Roth found that you could thicken the market
by identifying double coincident of wants (read the Harvard Business
blog). This would occur when say a coder might have a hacker mentor
and a entrepreneur might know investment banker. So an exchange could
be done with "trade" of services with coder getting finance advice and
entrepreneur getting some web design.

I aluded to congestion above where stellar reputations mean that
certain advisors are more in demand than others. This will always be
the case, even in open source projects where whilst there may be
plenty of testers or coders, professional lawyers are in short supply
(EFF aside).

Examples of safety is internship though I like the CompSci term
reversible. Roth blog notes In order to beat the competition, firms
are offering jobs to students before they even begin their second year
of law school—and demanding that the students decide immediately. This
leads to a safety issue, in which both a student and a firm are
committing to a decision before either has a real inkling of what kind
of lawyer the student will become in two years. This may be the case
where students are persuaded to work for a company at trade fairs
without realising their character is more suited to independent
creation, making both sides unhappy.

So far, I haven't seen any useable structured software artifact to
solve the meta-problem of matching entrepreneurs with mentors. As
such, it is an opportunity for an aspiring startup to tackle.

Lawrence
http://goo.gl/maps/GsN1