No Australian tech startup will get big unless it plans to go overseas
one day. Any success we've had had looked beyond Australia. The
market's just not big enough. Just look at Atlassian's international
focus or the fact 95% of Tjoos.com revenue came from the US (and it
wouldn't surprise me if that was the same case as retailmenot.com)

Multi-nationals bring experienced employees from other markets,
capital injections, and generate talent demand in the local market.
Looks at what Google's HQ in Sydney has done: it acquired a startup
(now known as Google Maps), it's brought some kick-arse people from
Silicon Valley who are part of the local scene now (like Pamela Fox),
and it's driven demand up for talent giving them solid experience.
Product managers do not nearly command the same salary in Australia
for the mere fact there isn't enough demand for them -- so how are we
meant to develop a world-class industry when we don't have the people
with the skills?

Of all the Aussies in the Valley, almost all of us are committed to
coming back one day. Let people go overseas and get experience and
they'll come back -- we don't need to lock them to Australia. Thats a
very short-term view of building the industry as yes it hurts us now,
but benefits accrue in the long term. Some of the Aussies have already
had success here and will bring that money back to Australia as
angels, along with the experience they've developed.

Elias Bizannes
http://eliasbizannes.com