Has something changed with Google's tax situation? I keep seeing these
references to Google (amongst others, including Facebook) being more
or less attracted by tax breaks here in Australia. As of not too long
ago, they barely paid any tax here:

"google didn't need excessive government tax breaks to entice them to
come here. "

Well, no, Google needed only the standard corporate tax rate in
Ireland to come to Australia, apparently:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/net-profits-the-tax-move-that-makes-google-rich-20090527-bnqk.html
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/google-figures-in-need-of-advanced-search-20100504-u4lf.html

I'm not especially irate over this; it's just weird to see people
pointing to Google's presence in Sydney as having something to do with
corporate tax rates in Australia when Google doesn't really pay
Australian corporate tax rates in any way, shape or form. Unless
something has changed since May this year, anyhow.

Geoff.