the way that I have approached it, is a bit different and maybe this
will help some people.

My background is in online marketing, sales, social media and I have a
good business network. I'm not a programmer but I am looking to learn
Python / Java. I think its quite a valuable skillset to have being
able to program (at least to understand people who are programmers).

I have helped out startups in the past because 1) they were my friends
2) that's what I like to get in involved with. I did it voluntarily
and helped them out with the skills that I had. I also hang out with
developers and some of my really good friends are developers, and I
love talking to them about startups and new apps, etc...

Sometimes my developer friends approach me and ask me about marketing
for their startup and I'm willing to help. And vice versa, if I need
some technical help they are also willing to help me.

My belief is that I don't think approaching new people and tell them
about your idea and asking to be a co-founder really works, unless you
know them. Having some kind of relationship, goes a long way if they
are going to buy into what you are doing. If I do need a technical co-
founder, I know who I can approach, or at least they can give me some
high level advice and introduce me to the right people.

I'd start by connecting with people that may have the skills you need
and give them help in the areas they do not have strong competencies
in.