Great points. Programmers (collectively) on pedestals is a fair point. I have worked with some great ones though, and the business knows it! I have also worked with many programmers, some that you would never put in front of the business (internal), your customers (external), let alone form a company with them.

Your point about CTO is a good one, though I would say not all start-ups need an experienced CTO. Depends on your business really. A tech co-founder should demonstrate more than just coding skills though.

And to be clear, developing software, or in the bigger picture systems, is much more than just churning code... so don't get coder and programmer mixed up with a good software/systems developer. In some businesses you will see, coders, team leaders, business analysts, project managers, software architects, testers and various other people. A good SOFTWARE DEVELOPER should have all those traits in some form, maybe they are not CTO material but they are the type of person that understands more than just code (Though they should be a master of code first). Maybe this is the types of person you need as a tech co-founder (again depends on your business). In my opinion there are lots of programmers, fewer developers, and even less CTOs.

Ryan