We probably need a separate discussion on twitter's business/
advertising model...

I'm sure when Twitter was devised they didn't have a business model in
mind. They just wanted to build a quick messaging service as a side
project.

I met someone from Twitter, and yes I hammered him about their
monetisation model =) . They are going to monetise through several
ways, here's an example of two:

1. Promoted tweets
2. Access to the firehouse API

I'm sure twitter was concerned when Bill Gross started acquiring
twitter apps under the Uber Media umbrella. After all, he created
Overture which was the original adwords model sold to Yahoo. So when
Uber started inserting ads into the twitter stream, it violated the
terms of service and hence twitter banned Ubermedia properties.

Twitter is just CRUSHING developers in their ecosystem. They just
announced last week they were going to create their own photosharing
service and apps needed to move up the value chain. My 2 cents - I
don't think twitter has figured out their business model yet or their
road map.

Happy to talk about this further over a beer at Silicon Beach!

Cheers,

Matt Ho
Airbnb
@inspiredworlds