Nick knows my thoughts on Freemium. :-)
http://www.pollenizer.com/premiree-more-premium-less-free/

My main point is that it's a hell of a risk aiming for an advertising
model, unless you're just nailing great content like Problogger and
Neerav. You have to build it, grow it, be very patient (typically or
you do a big distribution deal that costs bucks) and then you find out
if you have a business.

Also, most ad businesses typicaly completely underestimate what they
will make. They assume that it's targetted and that it's contextual so
they'll get really high CPM's. But it never works out as good as you
thought and as you scale it always gets worse.

1 million impressions at 50c CPM (which is not bad at scale) is $500.
Which covers hosting, and vegemite sandwiches for a month. At that CPM
you need 2 billion impressions to make a million dollars (can someone
check my maths, I was betterer at other things at skool).

Of course, it depends on about 10,000 things and we're probably all
wrong so go for it and prove us to be shmucks.

Mick "Banner Ad" Liubinskas