I was recently at Aibnb HQ chatting about their "competition" and have just
read this TechCrunch piece from last week, which brought the issue to mind
again.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/09/airbnb/
<http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/09/airbnb/>

I find the whole thing pretty fascinating. Basically, people like the German
Samwer brothers, build clones of popular North American sites, grow a user
base and then try to sell the company back to the original. Often
successfully.

Obviously we don't see it to this extent in Australia but a lot of what we
have is certainly inspired.

It also makes me think of the following quote:

"It is better to *fail* in originality than to succeed in *imitation*."
Herman Melville

Just wanted to gauge your opinion...

Cheers,

Kate