If I'm having a house painted I'd rather have just a few of the decent
painters, thank you :-)

If I'm having a single canvas painted, and can afford someone like Da
Vinci, then I'd get Da Vinci. Otherwise I'll just have to make do with
some of the decent painters. Of course, I believe Da Vinci took 17+
years to craft the Mona Lisa, so I might have to wait quite a while
for my masterpiece...

Interestingly, and tellingly, is that each of those painters you
mentioned created thousands and thousands of drawings during their
lifetime: backing up Gladwell's observation about 10 years of practice
before you become good at something. So what I'm learning is only hire
much older and experienced developers :-)

Also, of interest to me is that Van Gogh was spurned during his life.
The popular acclaim only came later. So if his genius wasn't
recognized, what hope do we have in identifying great developers?

Hmm, if companies were prepared to pay their top developers 100* more
than their bottom ones we might certainly get those metrics refined!

Martin

PS: Perhaps what we need really are developers with 1000's of hours of
experience rather than 1000's of developers?