> Back end is the Leonardo, and while some back end developers may be
> incredibly talented and know every language under the sun, a university
> graduate or even a nerd living in his mum's basement is capable of exactly
> the same thing, given 2 hours or 2 days more time to work on the same
> project. If there is any issue with the quality of back end developers it's
> more to do with scaling system resources. A Leonardo Da Vinci PHP developer
> would make the most efficient database system that might require 20 servers,
> whereas the uni graduate or self taught developer will end up needing 50
> servers and twice the crew to maintain it.

It's not quite that simple (though your point on scaling is valid) - a great
back-end developer will not only build something at a decent pace, but also
cleanly - and while ugly code may not impact you straight away, when you bring
more people into the team, add more features or fix bugs, this matters.

And sure, a less talented developer may take only another day or two per
feature, that adds up - as does the debt of bad code.

--
Pat