Nathan - congrats on having a go, I don't have any heat to add, just a
few thoughts. The throttling idea is an interesting one.

Its no surprise social recommendations drive traffic and conversion
because word of mouth and reputation are anecdotally better than a
megaphone*.
- Folks like Vaynerchuck
- indexes like Klout
- concepts like promoted tweets
- Tigerblood/Sheen
are driving the mindset that social fanout is a more efficient spend
for advertisers BUT all of them pollute the (privately owned)
infrastructure without there being filtering or context.

We recently coined this the "muffin apocalypse"
http://www.dealsta.com.au/2011/08/adma-forum-dm-on-the-street/ - a
dystopian vision where companies like Foursquare have business models
that rely on broadcasted checkins. The current "best practise" is that
a punter gets a free addon to a purchase (a free muffin if they
checkin). Foursquare get paid if we are all so cash strapped we trade
our social currency for a muffin. The dystopia is where our social
streams are nothing but pimped tweets. On a mobile formfactor this
kind of spam is even worse.
(Douglas Adams' "shoe event horizon" was a better dystopia but you get
the idea).

I'd guess that twitter will eventually create channels that like a G+
circle allow you to segment /filter your interest. Startups like
dealsta and (without speaking for Bron or Mick) friendorse would bet
that a purpose driven ecosystem has better S/N ratio that segments on
specific interest/commerce/purpose. Music sites (last.fm, pandora,
spotify) show that a recommendation ecosystem (even if nasty and
commercial at its core) focussed on an interest is more compelling to
users.
These sites and apps built for solving a specific problem initially
compete with generalised infrastructures (twitter/FB) to get sustained
attention. But (if done well) retain a loyal audience. Of course these
startups will leverage twitter/FB for fanout but not rely on them at
the core.

Social for serendipity. Sites & Apps for quality.
Regards
d.

* rumours of brand/mass media death are overstated