Hi Adam,

Unfortunately I can't comment on a major capital event, but the basics
are:
  - CGT is generally assessed in the year the capital event occurred
  - it's assessed at your personal assessable income tax
  - the levers you use to control your assessable personal income in
that year apply (eg. if you can control the timing of the event, plan
for it.  You can take a long holiday. You can offset it against other
deductible expenses in the same year.)

But really, your share entitlement should be owned by a trust that
enables the trustee to recallocate the capital distribution before it
hits anyone's personal income.  For example, the trust that i'm a
beneficiary of (ie. the investor in my company) can distribute the
capital benefit to *any entity* related to me (my future super fund,
my other (future) companies, other trusts I'm a beneficiary of and my
relatives). That provides a lot of control that you don't have if the
shares are in your personal name.  Experts would likely know how to
set this up in anticipation of a CGT event, but this must be much more
difficult to than getting it right before the shares have a
substantial value.

Regards,
 Jeromy Evans