Good question. You've got a few options, depending on your current level of
mess and trusts in Australia.

The easiest/cheapest way is a flip up from an AU Pty Ltd to a US C-Corp. You
get CGT exemption if you have the same ownership on both sides. The US
doesn't have trusts though (or so I think), so your flip up options are more
challenging if not closed to you entirely.

The next best bet is to create a new, clean corporate structure in the US.
Your new US company can either then acquire your AU company (which might be
held by your trust or other complicated AU shareholding structure), or you
can transfer or licence your IP from the AU company to the US company.
Licencing will trigger a CGT event and you'll pay tax on that in the short
term, or you can do licencing and deal with the transfer pricing issues
forever.

I'm told there is a third option. If you have a lot of money in an exit,
there are mysterious tricks you can do. I know a mate who did it, spent
about $400K on games and saved >$5M in CGT if he'd just been a mug. But,
he'd sold his company, so he had the $ to spend on the big advice.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 16:43, Jeromy Evans <jeromyev...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 4:13 am, Geoff McQueen <geoff.mcqu...@hiivesystems.com>
> wrote:
> > Another dimension to Patrick's comment: if you're planning on moving to
> the
> > US to raise venture money for your business, also be aware that...
>
> Geoff/Patrick/Others, when you took your businesses to the US did you
> shutdown the Australian entity, take on international shareholders in
> the Aus entity or setup in the US and maintain both entities? Is that
> transition process described anywhere?
> (sorry, this may deserve a new thread but the context in the previous
> posts is important; setting up complex structures for Aus when it's
> likely only a temporary investment vehicle anyway)

> Forum rules
> 1) No lurkers! It is expected that you introduce yourself.
> 2) No jobs postings. You can use http://siliconbeachaustralia.org/jobs

Geoff McQueen
Founder & CEO
Hiive Systems

Phone: 1.877.425.7315 (US) - 1800 2 44483 (AU)
Cell/Mobile: 650.450.4384 (US) - 0414.678.466 (AU)