Agree with Adam here - the minimum viable product concept is key, and
it's brutal to adhere to it properly.  Clearly, trying to build the
whole idea perfectly in one hit is impossible.

That said, (as the author of the post referred to) I'm a firm believer
in "perfecting" the minimum viable product to the greatest extent
possible without mass market testing.  Not striving for perfection on
the kernel of the enterprise is dumb.

Who knows how many websites would have made it but for their sloppy
design?  Rushing from one project to the other, hoping to uncover a
kind of platonic form in the ether that guarantees a win doesn't work
in the overwhelming majority of cases.  Most of us aren't inventing
Twitter, so without a highly addictive concept persae, striving for
perfection is the best way I know to increase the chances of success
in the real world.

In my view, you win by grabbing every advantage you possibly can.  A
website is nothing without the experience of the people using it -
you're shooting yourself in the foot if you let that slide.