Insurance isn't a bigger deal for rentals in the US because apparently
majority of Americans have insurance coverage by way of their personal
car insurance and many US issued credit cards provide some insurance,
hence if you're from Australia you need the full load of insurance.
Ignore the people that tell you that stuff is included with your
credit card, etc.

The other thing to be careful of are the payout limits - different
states have different rules, but you want to calculate for you causing
the write-off of some person's sports cars or huge medical bills for
some family, etc. i.e. Don't skimp.

Whether you buy coverage for the lose of your personal belongings from
the car is something you could weigh up as optional. Do your research
from the car rental websites regarding what the three letter insurance
codes mean. I find they have limited info at the rental counters, or
it's on something you can't sit down and read. If you prebook from
Australia, they will try to upsell on stuff when you go to pick up.

The refuelling tip is a good one. You can either return full, pre-buy
an option where they refill (which costs more than yourself), but if
you do neither they will charge you some outrageous amount.

The usual point of doing business over there applies (which really
hits for hotels) is that prices are ex-tax and charges, so be ready
for trickle of extra charges.

Greg