Thanks for the replies, especially Rai who led me to a $500 saving on
insurance.

Here's what I ended up doing and some further savings.

Car:
Booked an iCar (Corolla/Focus/etc) with Alamo via Kayak.com
Pickup in San Francisco downtown
$21/day for the car

Insurance:
$15/day for the LDW (loss damage waiver) = first party property, fire and
theft
this comes straight from Alamo.
$454/6months of Non owner's insurance from Farmers insurance
http://www.farmers.com/. Just use google maps to find a local agent, I used
Nancy Hu in Downtown SF, let me know if you want her details.
You can get a pro rata refund when you cancel it, less the $15.90 policy
and government fee. You can select options to cover third party property
for 500k/1m, third party personal for 500k/1m and people inside the car for
10k/25k medical expenses and choose the level of the deductible (what we
call "excess").

Further savings:
 * If you're willing to get a car one size smaller, then the car is $1/day
cheaper and the LDW is $6/day cheaper. I prefer the iCar size or larger for
safety.
 * You can still save $6/day on LDW insurance if you use one of the booking
websites to provide insurance instead of the rental company. I would advise
against this, as they will only pay up once you've already paid the rental
company, so you need a spare up to $20k if the car gets totalled.
 * If you use a-acar.com rentals then you'll save ~$250/month on car hire
and insurance, but you'll have an older car and won't get unlimited kms
included or a state wide support network of replacement cars should
something go wrong. He can only offer you a collision damage waiver though
(at $9/day), so there's no way to get fire or theft coverage for his cars.
Steve is a really nice guy though, but just didn't have options I was
comfortable with.

Happy new year and safe driving to all,

Ben