I'm sorry I missed your reply Geoff.

I'll ignore the comedy part as I've covered that elsewhere (I was referring
to the app being a joke not the event.)

I'm sure people do consider their opinions. My argument is that they are
basing their considerations on only part of the story. If you have ever
been unfairly demonised based on an out of context caricature of some
statement you made you'd understand that it is very unpleasant.

Sent from my Android phone
On 11/09/2013 8:55 AM, "Geoff Langdale" <geoff.langd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> they walked into a open-mic comedy event, and TechCrunch is apologizing
> because they didn't understand the event they were trying to put on.
>
> You know, sometimes people cry "sexism" under circumstances where they
> actually *do* think it through. Don't be patronizing. There were plenty of
> people right there in the audience who were offended, and, in a newsflash,
> they had the right to be, even if, amazingly enough, a bunch of software
> dudes laughed at some dumb jokes about tits.
>
> Also, the rhetoric of "I'm not going to judge them" is a feeble attempt to
> pretend that you're in touch with some kind of neutral principle here. You
> are judging them; you've judged what they did "mostly OK but for the
> 9-year-old".
>
> Geoff.
>
> On Wednesday, 11 September 2013 08:30:21 UTC+10, Dylan wrote:
>>
>> Seeing as the article says they got a pretty good laugh I'd say it was a
>> success as a pitch. This was obviously intended as a comedy stunt and like
>> all comedy it is chosen for a specific audience. These guys had probably
>> taken a barometer reading and guessed it would go over well as a joke. It
>> was unfortunate that a child was there however. That is the only thing I
>> think is worth apologising over.
>>
>> What the world does not need more of is people who were not in the
>> audience going to war with people who make jokes to a specific audience in
>> a specific context, or people crying "sexism" without thinking it through.
>> I wasn't there so I'm not going to judge them without the context of the
>> event.
>>
>> Sent from my Android phone
>> On 10/09/2013 11:03 PM, "Fai Wong" <wong...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> To bring a fair perspective on your partner's experience a AngelHack,
>>> even countless times when I say I'm a .Net programmer who had developed in
>>> php and now Ruby on Rails, most non-programmers will go clueless at .Net.
>>> So I don't think what your partner experienced was a sexism issue. It is
>>> just as hard for a male programmer to be seen to have better ideas or be
>>> more innovative, we're usually born to be a slave coder. I think it is more
>>> of an under-appreciation of what Internet startups revolves around..
>>> coding. While looking for co-founder for a few startups last year, I've
>>> approached Sydney-siders on LinkedIn and they didn't take me seriously. San
>>> Fran biz dev guys whom I approached on LinkedIn however liked my ideas,
>>> spared time to Skype with me and would let me be the CEO if we became
>>> co-founders. WTF, a coder as a CEO, how is that possible??
>>>
>>> I have no solution but to advise your partner to come up with her own
>>> ideas, test them and learn the business side. Someday, she gets to be the
>>> CEO and there would be a co-founder who would be happy to be the COO as the
>>> biz dev. side. Now that is a different world.

>>> --
>>>
>>> Forum rules
>>> 1) No lurkers! It is expected that you introduce yourself.
>>> 2) No jobs postings. You can use