the last statement in the article is probably most apt.....

the thing about the planes carrying guns is not unusual, and is generally very hard to police given
the limited resources the authorities have, and given the amount of money at stake  in neighboring
conflicts in congo, burundi..etc....

there is also a historical sub-text in lake victoria politics which is rarely reported on...that of the nile
waters treaty.  the british signed a treaty with the egyptians in the 1920s which laid down guidelines
that no irrigation project would be designed that use the waters of lake victoria.

what has now become an annual occurence is a statement by either the gov. of uganda or kenya
stating that they are going to build this huge canal scheme using the bounties of lake victoria..., and
the egyptians immediately declare that it is an act of war, and will be forced to act 'militarily'.  how
they plan to conduct this war given that the countries are separated by 1000s of kilometers and one
of them is landlocked is beyond me.....