Deepa:

Almost all high commissions and consulates of India renew your passports the same day if you met their deadline and their requirments. New Passports are delivered the next day.

But, you must meet all their requirements... and that includes having a valid visa or permanent residency card or whatever.

Sadly, these guys are hardly ever commended for their efficiency.

Kamla