Eugen Leitl wrote:
> You don't block. You penalize. That's something different. (You can
> penalize by lots of other things, e.g. my firewall can throttle

When you run something larger than a toy network, you dont prick
yourself in the foot in a pin, even if it blows a big hole in the other
guys foot.  Too many "other guys", and its your only pair of feet.

> Strangely enough, the bulk of spam comes from some very small
> part of the address space. Strangely enough, you also seem to think

Yeah. Problem is separating it from legitimate email coming from that
same corner of the net. If I could firewall out say 61/8 I'd get rid of
a ton of spam. And also get rid of a ton of legit email as well.

And how distributed IS the spam?  Quite a lot actually, with some
obvious spikes from sources.  Rather more distributed than I'd feel
comfortable with supporting your assertion.

Here's by AS

4134 (Chinanet) 7.61%
4837 (China Netcom) 5.05%
4766 (Korea) 4.22%
6147 (Telefonica Peru) 2.34%

and then various others (TDE Spain, TPNet Poland, TTNet Turkey, Verizon,
AtHome Benelux, Servint, Proxad DSL, etc) having 1 to 2 percent each

Countrywise - US 25.85%, China 17.68%, Korea 6.73%, Russia 3.83%, Poland
3.61%, France 3.12%, Spain 3.04%, and then Romania, HKG, India, Japan,
Taiwan, the UK etc falling between 1 to 2 percent.

srs