On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 09:11:19AM -0500, Casey O'Donnell wrote:

> >I run a rack full of hardware, which is about 30-40 EUR worth of
> >electricity/month.
> >The lighting part doesn't even register on the financial radar.
>
> Are you running servers from home? Or run a business out of your home?

Most of my hardware (not that much) is running in a rented rack at
my hoster (by the way, it's the best deal for rack rental I've
found so far, just 99 EUR/month, with about 0.0952 EUR/GByte and
0.1904 EUR/kWh: http://hetzner.de/colocation_rack.html ), where it
takes some 2.4 A at 220 V at the moment (a little bit more, actually),
which is about 0.6 kW. If my math is correct, that's about 1 kEUR/year,
or about 83 EUR/month.

I have a file server at home which does tor, 3rd DNS server,
domestic file serving, random crunch and development testing,
soon accounting, asterisk, fax server, etc.

> Processing something full time? Just curious why...

It's supposed to become a business at some point. I don't crunch anything
right now, just running a bunch of Linux vservers serving random stuff.

> When I lived in the dorms in college we ran tons of hardware and
> probably used more power than we needed to. When we moved off campus
> four of us were running [EMAIL PROTECTED] One month we all turned it off an
> our power bill dropped significantly (by roughly 20%).

I certainly notice the one file server at home in the power bill.

> Since then we've all been a bit more conscientious about not running
> hardware that doesn't need to be run.
>
> Oh, and for you PS2 owners out there (and Xbox/Xbox360 owners) these
> systems "leak" tons of power in standby mode. Better to unplug them.

I have a ton of wall warts here which aggregate up to some considerable
background drain. I wish I could install solar PV, and run everything ~12 V
directly off the 12-24 V battery with DC/DC converters.