Ingrid wrote: [ on 06:55 PM 3/8/2007 ]

This misguided belief and the general perception of NGO-wallahs as either,
unkempt, khadi-clad revolutionaries OR silk-sheathed socialites is a real
barrier to sane people considering jobs in the sector.

I am not sure if this is cause, effect or faulty pattern perception on my part - but I've done some amount of volunteer work in the past, and the NGO biz [1] seems to have more than its fair share of both the kinds of fauna you cite.

Also, my gut feel [2] is that the newer, "venture philathropic" organizations had a bit of a tough time at first when they tried to get some accounting rigour into the industry.

Ingrid, your thoughts?

Udhay

[1] Oh yes, it is most certainly a biz.
[2] Which means I don't have hard data, only anecdotal evidence.