--- Madhu Menon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There are also the "Hinduism is a way of life"
> people who tell me that I
> can be a Hindu despite my atheism, but I've never
> been able to get a
> straight answer from anyone about what exactly that
> way of life entails.
> I begin to wonder whether merely breathing is
> sufficient.

Pretty single-minded, aren't they? I did get something
approaching an answer from one of the 'way of life'
folks - if you are aware of Hindu beliefs, and
practice dharma and ahimsa, you are a Hindu. Even if
you are an atheist.

So what does that make people who don't practice
dharma or ahimsa, and are still self-identified
Hindus? You guessed it: misguided, but still Hindus.
Apparently to him, you can't not be Hindu if you're
Indian, and anyone else who wants to join in is
welcome too. Huh.

cheers,
Divya