On Wednesday 10 Oct 2007 7:00 pm, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 03:10:22PM +0200, Dave Long wrote:
> > >Since RAF, there has been no terrorism in Germany.

What is/was the RAF?

>I see a global trend towards authoritorian systems, aided
>by brinworld (ubiquitous automatic surveillance, and enforcement).

> Unless we do something, we'll live in an neverending nightmare.

This is an interesting statement and I have thoughts that were sparked off by
the ongoing civil war in the Pashtun areas of Pakistan.

Once upon a time (prior to 1947) there was democracy in that region, and there
was a respected Pashtun leader called Khan Abdul Gaffar Khan popularly known
as "frontier Gandhi" because he implemented Gandhian principles on non
violence in a region full of squabbling tribes.

In elections held in pre-partition India the NWFP provice had voted for
Nehru's Congress and had no real intention of joining Pakistan. But the
forces of history and the machinations of Jinnah , Olaf Caroe and later
Mountbatten and Nehru ensured that the tribal belt to Pakistan's Northwest
lost its democratic forces, Jinnah's Muslim league armed and empowered
Islamic Tribal leaders in the region and the NWFP joined Pakistan. Gaffar
Khan was jailed in Pakistan.

The point that I am getting at is that a democratic nation state requires two
important conditions to survive

1) The state has to be the most powerful armed entity. Coercive powers must be
retained by the state.

2) The "state" itself must not be one individual, but should be an entity that
follows a constitution, and that entity should be controlled by a series of
people who are voted in and out of power.

When the state loses its coercive power to someone else - you can get civil
war. If that "someone else" does not subscribe to democracy such as in the
NWFP, then democracy dies and is very difficult to revive. Even force cannot
revive it easily - unless massive force is used to eliminate all armed
entities who are opposed to the forces of the democratic state.

That means we get mass murder, genocide, human right violations and
"collateral damage" from the very forces who are trying to restore "order and
democracy". This is by definition a murderous mess. This is what is happening
in Iraq now.

Coming back to Eugen's statement:

>I see a global trend towards authoritorian systems, aided
>by brinworld (ubiquitous automatic surveillance, and enforcement).

When the democratic nation state is threatened by armed coercive forces that
threaten to get stronger than the state a coercive response based on force is
the only effective way of combating that.

The "authoritarian systems" that are being used by democratic nations have the
tacit support of a significant proportion of the citizens of any democratic
state. But the democratic state also allows the survival of opponents. If the
opponents to the use of authoritarian systems get powerful enough in a
democracy, those authoritarian systems may get rolled back a bit. But rolling
them back will automatically ensure the rejuvenation of forces that threaten
the democratic state, and authoritarian systems will be put back in place.

The difference between a functioning democracy and a non democratic set up is
the ability to either increase or roll back state authority as the situation
demands.

The democratic state may have supporters of 3 different viewpoints vying for
influence

1) Supporters of the authoritarian systems used by the state
2) Democratic opponents of the authoritarian system being used in their state.
3) Opponents of the state itself in terms of ideology, borders and power
structure.

shiv