On Friday 29 Feb 2008 7:24:03 am Charles Haynes wrote:
> Hm. I'm probably guilty of either cultural insensitivity, or at least
> ignorance, but as a free speech absolutist I'm not sure that (1) is
> actually an issue. I don't care how offensive the book is, how can
> violence, assault, and destruction of property be legitimate ways to
> show your displeasure? Is book burning ever appropriate in a nominally
> free, pluralistic, secular democracy?

Here is my take on this:

Let me give you a primer on Hindu dharma. The people of India (and that
includes most Muslims along with Hindus, Sikhs, Christians and Jains) ,
actually live by a code of conduct that is considered essential for a society
to live by. This code is called "dharma".  Dharma is derived from the
Sanskrit root "dhr" which means to "hold" or "preserve" and dharma is designed
as a code to preserve society.

Indian psyche thinks in terms of "society" - i.e collective thought and not in
terms of individual liberty in th American sense. However individual liberty
for  a Hindu (or even a non Hindu Indian)  is allowed by looking inwards -
i.e getting spiritual release. In short individual liberty does not take
precedence over the needs of stability in society. The individual is free to
achieve moksha or nirvana inside his head as long has he remains dharmic
within society.

The basic rules of dharma are simple enough and easily understood. Always tell
the truth. Respect your parents, teachers and elders, Do not be overly proud
or arrogant (because pride will have a fall you dodo), do not do an excess of
anything - good or bad- always balance it out, the way nature balances good
and bad, Live you life as it is supposed to be lived i.e follow the rules to
be a god student when you are in the Brahmacharya stage of life. Later you
must marry, have children and your prime duty is to your family and children
etc.

The ideal dharmic society is supposedly a "just" society. The Ramayana is a
story that glorifies Ram (or Rama, or Lord Ram(a))  as the ideal dharmic
individual who does everything that is needed to be dharmic. In addition Rama
is said to be a human incarnation of Lord Vishnu - who is prominent on the
board of directors of Hindu Gods - he is one of the three CEOs. ( Hindu Gods
are not necessarily anthropomorphic beings, but are anthropomorphic
representations of powers and desirable traits - multi-armed could mean
multiple powers)

So the Ramayana is thought of as the life story of a person who is the "ideal
good man" - although from a modernist perspective ideal and non ideal could
be disputed. If the Ramayana (Ramayan to North Indians) describes all that is
good (dharmic), changing it in any way without widespread validation
automatically makes the act "adharmic" or non dharmic. That which is not
dharmic must be opposed, and violence must be used where necessary.

Does Hindu literature justify violence under any circumstances? Yes it does.
The entire Bhagvad Gita is a treatise on how a warrior, Arjuna (Arjun in
North India) , baulks at the thought of having to kill his step brothers in
battle. Arjuna's charioteer is Krishna (who is also an earthy incarnation of
Vishnu - as Rama was in the Ramayana). Krishna tells Arjuna why it is
necessary to fight and kill his step brothers. In this case the step brothers
have been "adharmic" - they are flouting dharma and are a menace to society
and must be eliminated.

This "fabric of society" business is important to Indians. One of the reasons
why India has survived as one nation is that people genuinely believe in
this "maintaining the  fabric of society" business, even if it means
trampling of individual rights and freedom of expression. Individual rights
and freedom of expression are OK as long as they do not disrupt popular
sentiment.

One primary reason that makes the "right wing Hindu" laugh and mock Pakistan
is that the Pakistanis discarded dharma which is secular, and chose pure
Islam instead of continuing with the societal rules that have existed for
millennia. To them, Pakistan today is a consequence of flouting dharma - the
rules for "stabilizing and preserving society"

shiv