On Friday 29 Feb 2008 5:49:37 pm Udhay Shankar N wrote:
> So the person has made a choice. What, then, is the problem with that?

The problem is in saying that only one God is correct and that other Gods are
wrong. This is the fundamental basis of conversion and this is what hurts
Hindu sentiment. The Hindu accepts the other God as valid, but is hurt that
the other religion does not extend the same courtesy to his belief.  I do not
suppose there is anything wrong with saying that. It should not cause anyone
any needless takleef, but misplaced Hindu "secular" sentiment often reacts
with indignation upon hearing this particular Hindu grievance.

It is not the convert's choice, but the implication that another's belief is
wrong that hurts. Expressing the sentiment should not be a problem, but often
leads to argument and accusation of extremism.

> If there are forcible conversions, I am still unable to see the
> problem - can't the individual repudiate the conversion process, or
> convert back to the original religion if unsatisfied?

From the Hindu viewpoint this is needless meddling with society. Typically
Hindu society lives as a family group and the conversion affects the larger
family in a way that does not ensure a happy outcome even if he reconverts.

And of course there is the problem of whether the reconvert was really
dissatisfied in the first place before the damage was done, or was converted
as part of an elaborate charade to fulfil the quota of some priest.

shiv