Late to this thread due to all the running around trying to relocate my restaurant, but here's my 2 paisa:

Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
Ten, at the YWCA on Parliament Street in Delhi, serves Mexican food
(Quesadillas, especially) that I enjoyed eating; but I have never
had an opportunity to sample authentic Mexican food.

I think that is indeed the crux of the problem. Most people don't have a point of reference for "authentic" Mexican food (yours truly included.) The only thing that they are familiar with is the Tex-Mex stuff - dishes you can find at places like IndiJoe's, Ruby Tuesday, TGIF, etc. When the impression so many people have of the cuisine is that it's "meat in a tortilla with cheese and some stuff on the side", it's an uphill task to elevate it to any kind of "fine dining" concept. It's far less risky to sneak in a couple of dishes as part of some fusion or coffee shop menu.

Madhu

--
Madhu Menon